Vacancy – Welfare Benefits/PIP Supervisor
Availability: Immediate Start
Contract Type: fixed term
Duration: 6 months
Salary: £16 per hour (up to 7 hrs/week)
Reporting to: Board of Trustees
About Horizon Legal Advice Clinic
We are a group of dedicated law graduates and solicitors from 5 International Law Firms who are passionate about helping those in need by providing free initial legal advice. The impetus behind this initiative was the drastic cut to the Legal Aid budget by the government which has left many people without any access to justice. As a result, we felt that it was an ethical obligation of our profession to assist members of the public, with a particular focus on the London boroughs of Barking & Dagenham and Newham.
Our purpose is to advise members of the public on their legal position and the options available to them. We aim to provide a niche, sophisticated end to end service in matters relating to Personal Independence Payments, assisting in filling in the Claim Form, drafting Mandatory Reconsideration letters as well as representing clients at Tribunal.
The clinic has concluded a successful pilot scheme between October 2016 and Jan 2017, and we are supported by Clifford Chance, Ashurst, Weil, Gotshal & Manges, Morgan Lewis and O’Melveny & Myers.
As part of our scaling up plans, we are looking to attract a passionate and engaged Supervising Solicitor who shares our motivation to help the community.
The Role and Its Responsibilities
- Assist and supervise clinic Volunteer Advisers providing PIP social welfare law advice
- Maintain accurate and complete case records in accordance with our case management system IntraLinks
- Review important stages of PIP application process to ensure legal accuracy. These are: (a) advice letters; (b) claim form; (c) appeals form (mandatory and appeals stages)
- Train Volunteer Advisers (“VAs”) and solicitors to cover the background to PIP, procedures involved in a claim and case-study focusing on practical aspects
- Carry out such other duties as may be reasonably requested for the running of the Clinic
- The post is suitable for a qualified solicitor with a current practicing certificate specialising in welfare benefits
- Experience of delivering and supervising generalist social welfare law advice and casework services
- Experience supervising students (or interns/trainees)
- Familiarity with or demonstrable commitment to the provision of pro bono legal assistance to members of the local community
Deadline: Friday 24th February 2017
Please send your CV with a short cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org